Since I recently found myself injured (the bruising has almost gone now and I’m revving up to be back on skates soon!), I have been walking around sporting two fairly impressive black eyes, a bruised nose and a large bruised lump on my head. As you can imagine that elicited a fair amount of questions, such as:
“Who have you been fighting?”
“What on earth have you been doing?”
“My goodness who did that to you?”
By around the 50th time I was asked the above or different variations of the above questions, my answer was a simple “I play roller derby” and I came to realise almost every question people went on to ask about what roller derby were almost pretty much the same.
So, in light of this, here are 10 questions every roller girl, rookie or otherwise, will hear almost every single day:
1. What’s roller derby?
2. Roller skates? Like those inline ones with four wheels?
3. So it’s a bit like rugby on skates then?
4. What’s the point of the game / how do you score points?
5. Is there a ball then?
6. Wait, so you like, hit each other? Like, punch and kick?!
7. Do you wear all big padding like American footballers?
8. It sounds very dangerous - is it?
9. How does your mum feel about you playing it?
10. Why on earth would you want to do that?!
Keep on rolling and being excellent to each other!